Why do you want to know this?
Dropbox is a wonderful tool for sending large files like a whole set of large pictures. You can also send a Powerpoint presentation this way. It is good way to share without filling up the other person’s mailbox too.
How do you open a Dropbox Account?
1. Navigate to www.dropbox.com
3. A window will pop up asking if you would like to save the file. Click “Save file” and wait for file to finish downloading. If the popup window doesn’t appear, click “restart the download” link located in the middle of the page.
5. When download is finished, open Downloads folder. If you don’t know where Downloads folder is, type “Downloads” into the Search bar. In your Downloads folder, double click on icon that says “Dropbox”. The trailing numbers refer to the version of Dropbox you are installing.
10. Next put in your email, password, and computer name. Enter the email and password you used when you created your account. The computer name field should populate automatically. If it doesn’t, you can enter whatever you’d like. A standard strategy is to use your name followed by “PC” or “Laptop”.
11. Now you will be asked if you would like to upgrade your account. Deciding how much space you need is highly dependent on the resolution of your pictures. For most point and shoot digital camera, the free 2gb of storage should be able to store anywhere from 100 to 300 pictures. You can always upgrade your account later, so for now, click on the 2gb free option and click next.
12. Next you will be asked if you want to do a typical or advanced setup. The advanced setup will allow you to change the Dropbox directories, but for now the typical installation will be sufficient. So click the “Typical” button and click “Install”.
13. Then it will ask you if you want to install Dropbox on your phone. In order to use this option, you will need to have a smartphone (eg. iPhone, Android, or Blackberry) and have text messaging capabilities. If you would like to install Dropbox on your phone, enter your phone number and click next. You will then be sent a text message with a link to install Dropbox. If you don’t want to bother with this now, leave the field blank and click next. You can always do this later if you change your mind.
15. When you get to the end of the tour, or if you skipped the tour, you will be on the final page. In the bottom left corner is a checkbox that say “Open my Dropbox folder now”. If you check this box, your Dropbox pictures folder will open when you click finish. If you don’t check it, the install will complete and return you to your Desktop. After you checked or unchecked the box, click “Finish”. Dropbox is now installed on your computer.